The legend says that once in the place were now Dnieper flows was the sea. But after St. Andrew came into Kiev and had put a cross on a hill were now St. Andrew Church stands, the sea went off and hide under the hill. St. Andrew Church has no bells cause according to the legend the water will arise and flood all Kiev with the first stroke of the bell.
The project of St. Andrew’s Church was created by famous architect Rastrelli. The first stone of the church was laid by Empress Elizaveta Petrovna in 1744. During the construction the problem sprang up — there was a spring in the hill and for many years water leaked throw the walls of church’s base and destroyed it.
Empress Elizaveta Petrovna died soon after church construction ended, and the building had fallen into decay — tsar’s court no longer interested in Kiev’s buildings. In 1767 the church was consecrated but its condition was poor — the water from the spring destroyed the base of the building, into the holes of tiled roof fall rain and snow, birds broke windows and made nests inside. For a long time Kiev metropolitans corresponded with Synod and at last in 1797 all imperfections were repaired. Large staircase with cast iron footsteps and church-porch were built 50 years after.
To its 100 years anniversary the church got tsar’s presents — icon of the Saviour, with carved inscription of the emperor on the back, the Gospel and small shrine with the part of Sr. Andrew relics.
After the October revolution in 1917 St. Andrew church was closed for a long time, and only in 1968 it was opened like a museum.
Back to top