The National Opera House stands in historical part of the city, on the cross of two crowded street — Bogdana Khmelnitskogo and Vladimirskaya.
The building of Kiev Opera House was constructed in 1901 on the place of burned-out in 1896 city theatre. After the fire occurred town council took a decision to arrange the international contest on the opera building. More than 20 architects from Ukraine, Russia, Germany, France and Italy took the participation in it. The first prize got Victor Shreter — architectures professor from St. Petersburg.
For its time the Kiev Opera House building was really amazing: the stalls, amphitheatre and 5 circles could seat 1650 spectators simultaneously. Velvet and bronze prevailed in interior design. Smart chairs, chandeliers and lamps were ordered from Vienna. Total building square was almost 100 000 cub. meters.
Above the main entrance of the theatre firstly was placed city emblem with picture of Kiev protector — archangel Michael, but metropolitan Feognost strongly objected it — a divine warrior over such sinful place. That’s why city emblem was soon substituted for composition with griffins that are holding the lyre — the musical art symbol.
Back to top